Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Digital Text Symposium

Once again I am digressing from my series of blogs on social studies text and timeline applications available on the web.

I have been speaking at and participating in the digital text symposium and it has been a wonderful opportunity to share and gain information about digital textbooks and other digital resources.  Some of you I may have met today and you may be accessing this blog for the first time.

For those of you who requested the information that we shared today - that was focused on the Discovery Tech Books, you can email me at klierhe@bgsu.edu and I will send you the PowerPoint.

So far, our group likes the digital text (science and social studies only) out of all that we have reviewed.  You can access their website and sign up for a free trial at:

http://www.discoveryeducation.com/administrators/curricular-resources/techbook/

The information that I shared today centered around considerations when using digital text in the classroom for students with disabilities. The big message that I wanted to send home was to consider the individual needs of students with disabilities when choosing digital text and other digital resources. Having a device like an iPad or laptop is not a "cure all" for students with disabilities we have to guide our students in the most effective use which includes educating families. This can be difficult because as teachers we have to learn at the pace that new technology is becoming available - which can be a full time job in itself.

Here is the information from the last slide that I shared this morning  - I am headed back to learn about how to write my own digital textbook on iAuthor right now!

1. Match the digital text features to the individual needs of your student

2. To make sure the digital textbook is accessible (when choosing for your district or classroom) - consider the following:
  
  • Are there speaking glossaries?
  • Can a student highlight words anywhere in the text and be provided with the definition? 
  • Is there text to voice capability (including adjustments for gender, speed and pitch)? Can it be used on a variety of devices (iPad, smartphone, etc.)?
  • Is there Cloud Capability? 
    • Students can use the same “copy” at home
    • Access to notes they are taking in the text 


No comments:

Post a Comment